<< This blog has been moved to a new location: wisdomoftheradish.wordpress.com >>
11 Steps to becoming a Chicken Farmer:
- Choose your breeds & buy your chicks (See this blog post, and check out these hatcheries: Mcmurray Hatchery, Belt Hatchery)
- Set up your brooder (see blog post)
- Raise healthy, happy chicks (Storey’s Guide to Raising Chickens, BackYardChickens.com)
- In the meantime, build your coop & yard (see blog post)
- Fort-knoxify your coop & learn about predators (here’s why)
- Chicken-proof your garden (they love veggies)
- Stock up on feed and treats (find your local feed store)
- Get good at troubleshooting (BackYardChickens.com is an invaluable resource, and here’s one example of the bizarre things that can happen)
- Eat lots of eggs.
- Eat even more eggs. (Try this for tips.)
- Start selling or giving away eggs to everyone you know.